Wednesday, April 13, 2011

laissez bons temps rouler

I had never even met a Catholic until I moved to this hugely Catholic town many moons ago. Yet since the year I turned 21 I've faithfully spent every Fat Tuesday drinking, whooping it up and…ahem…collecting beads in honor of Mardi Gras.

And while I've drunk my fair share, those sticky sweet daiquiris have never been my thing. Until, that is, I discovered that the Kool Aid colored frosty concoctions that swirl about in those Lucite Icee machines are about as close to a real daiquiri cocktail as I am to converting to Catholicism.

The REAL daiquiri cocktail is 100 or so years old and came from Cuba (as it seems all lovely rum things do). It is also as easy to make and pure as any classic cocktail gets:  lime, sugar and quality rum with some ice. Now that's a drink I can get behind.

The daiquiri
Crushed ice
2 tsp. sugar
1 lime, juiced
2 oz. good quality light rum
Ice in shaker. Add sugar, lime and rum, then shake. Either pour or strain into a glass.
Garnish with lime wedge and/or cherry if desired. 

 So, until Tuesday when you will find me reveling in oysters shooters (raw oysters, horseradish and vodka in a shot glass), eating spicy Jambalaya and swilling the best rum I can find this side of Cuba my advice to you is to let the good times roll, friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment