Friday, April 29, 2011

The Guiltiest Pleasure

Hey everyone, Wayne here. As you can see by the blatant gap in the dates on our new blog site, Laurie hasn't posted anything for a couple weeks. It's been a bit on the crazy side here at the Bedford House due to some family things, household business and a dash of work insanity. Now life has calmed down and as I write this, Laurie is sitting on our deck with a Manhattan in hand entertaining some dear friends of ours. It's the first actual deck gathering we've been able to enjoy, though the gale-force wind is trying to force everyone inside.Which got me thinking.

At our little impromptu gathering, we made simple appetizers, grilled burgers, offered a veggie platter with spinach dip and pesto filled baked brie. Then one of our friends brought over what I think is the guiltiest of guilty pleasures, chili cheese dip. Yes, the office food-day classic. I'm all about the crafting of amazing appetizers for the perfect get together, but there is something magical about processed cheese food and canned chili melted together in a crock pot of molten goodness. I can honestly say I've enjoyed this dip with crackers, chips, over burgers, on top of eggs, with apple slices and yes, right out of the pot with a spoon. That's right, I have no shame. It's easy to make, especially if you have little time and nothing in the pantry. The magical thing is, everyone (even if secretly) loves it. In fact, I even overheard one of my friends tonight say "I wish I could just stick my face in this." Seriously, if it wouldn't cause third-degree burns, it's not such a bad idea.

 I know it's not technically cheese and I realize the chili is probably closer in relation to dog food than real chili, but the combination of these two simple ingredients is something that truly makes a mouth happy. It sticks to the chip (or spoon) is warm, comforting and is somehow delicious. Those that don't think so are either liars, vegans, or have no soul. Or vegans.

So if you would like to make me happy, simply bring a crock pot full of this cheese-like dip to one of our next gatherings. I'll refrain from sticking my face in it.
Peg's Chili-Cheese Dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment