Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Hangover

Yup, it happened. My 5 o'clock lasted longer than it should have, I had too much fun and I'm paying for it today with a nagging hangover. You'd think I'd learn, but I never do.

Since the dawn of time people have been finding ways to make alcohol and tinkering with recipes to help cure the after effects, because a hangover demands to be fed. I've heard a list of cures, everyone has their favorite:  spicy Menudo (the soup, not the boy band from the 80s), a greasy burger and fries, hair of the dog, usually in the form of a Bloody Mary, the list goes on. 

Me? I obsess over spicy tacos. But I never buy those little packets of powdered taco seasoning, I make my own. The secret ingredient is cumin. I heart cumin. Start by sautéing some diced onions and garlic before throwing in lean ground beef. When the burger is browned I add in the seasoning stuff with 1/3(ish) cup of water, tomato juice or stock, turn down the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes or so.

I really don't really have a recipe, I sort of just sprinkle in ingredients and taste as I go so my measurements are approximate and to taste. Consider this a starter recipe and add/delete as you will.

You know what goes best with tacos, right? Margaritas. Oh damn…here we go again.

Taco Seasoning
3 Tbsp. Chili powder
1 Tbsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Garlic salt
1 Tbsp. Dried Oregano
1 tsp – 1 Tbsp Cayenne pepper
salt/pepper to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment