Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Hot Damn It's Chili Time!

I don't care about football (much to my mother's consternation, she's a faithful follower of the Chiefs), but I do love superbowl commercials. Such excess! The money they spend on each millisecond of commercial is obscene, What's not to love?

I usually go to the Superbowl party my friend Angi throws where I drink beer, eat wicked food and watch the commercials. I talk through the football part, usually asking people about the food they brought and finding out what they're drinking. Hey, you would to if you hung out with the people I do. A few of the guys brew their own beer (including Angi's husband) and almost everyone cooks with love and abandon.

I've always thought chili was the perfect thing to bring to any football party and holy hot sauce do I have a great recipe. Hell no, I'm not modest about it -- I've been cultivating this beauty for years now. I am happy to share, though.

This is a thick, meaty chili with no beans and plenty of kick. To cool its temper reduce the amount of fresh chilies, ground cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes. When I make it I usually have 2 pots going, a spicy one and one without peppers (for the kids & wimps). It is one part Cincinnati, one part spicy Texas and one part Mexican mole.

Have a variety of toppings when you're ready to serve, I'm partial to: grated sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, corn chips, diced onions and diced jalapeno peppers. Corn bread and beer are natural partners for this chli. Happy commercial watching!

Hot Damn Chili

3 pieces Bacon, chopped
1.5 lb. Top round cut into half-inch squares
½ C Flour
1 lb. Ground chuck
1 large Onion, chopped
5-6 cloves Garlic, crushed
1-3 Fresh jalapeno peppers, diced
1-2 Habanero chilies, diced (if you dare)
1 can Tomato paste (dissolved in ½ C warm water)
2 cans Diced tomatoes
2 C Water
1 Beer, any kind (or 1-1/2 C chicken stock)
2 Tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
6 Tbsp. Chili powder
2 tsp. Freshly ground pepper
2 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Cinnamon
2 tsp. Ground cayenne pepper
2 tsp. Cumin
2 tsp. Red pepper flakes
1 tsp. Ground cloves
½ oz. Unsweetened baking chocolate, grated (1 square)

In a large soup pot cook bacon pieces over medium high heat until crisp, remove to a large bowl. Salt and pepper stew meat squares and toss with flour. Quickly sear stew meat on all sides then remove to the bowl with bacon. Cook ground beef, separating with potato masher or fork, remove to the meat bowl. Drain all but a few tablespoons of grease.

In the same soup pot sauté onion, garlic and peppers until fragrant and onions are translucent, 4-5 minutes. Add tomato paste dissolved in water, diced tomatoes, water, beer (or chicken stock) and vinegar. Stir with wooden spoon, scraping bits off the bottom. Add in all meats. Bring to boil.

Add spices and grated chocolate. Bring to boil then reduce to a simmer for 1 hour or more.

1 comment: